6 Pieces of Advice to do SEO for your website in 2020
As you probably know, 93% of web experiences start in search engines, mainly Google. Having a website and no one getting to it doesn’t make much sense. It is true that we live in a time of technological boom and every day a new company, service or information website emerges that must compete against the rest. And here it is not a question of who has better or worse products -relatively- but of who appears among the first positions of Google.
Because who gets to the second or third page to keep looking for options? In this article, I will tell you a series of SEO tips so that you can place your website among the highest positions in search engines.
Key concepts: What is SEO positioning?
Before starting, it is important to have a clear idea of what SEO is. It stands for Search Engine Optimization. This term covers all the elements and aspects that affect the positioning of a website in the different search engines. In other words, aspects that respond to requests from Google’s algorithm updates. The adjective “organic or natural” is used to refer to the fact that they are not actions with an added cost, thus differentiating them from SEM positioning.
This term is the acronym for Search Engine Marketing and is used to refer to paid search engine advertising campaigns. A very simple way to differentiate the results is by looking at the “Ad” brand.
On the other hand, it is important to differentiate between On Page and Off Page SEO. While the first one is those aspects that you can work personally on your own website, the Off Page SEO refers to the actions that occur on other websites but affect your own website in a positive or negative way.
How do you get better positioning in Google and other search engines?
Below we are going to show you some key tips to position yourself in Google that we follow day by day in our SEO Agency to position both our projects and clients’ projects.
1. Do a Keyword Research
This is the main step that forms the basis of any SEO strategy. It is a necessary analysis to establish which are the keywords by which people should find your website by logic. In other words, if I search for “how to position my website”, what I want to find is an article that explains the steps I have to take to get my website to be among the first results in Google.
2. Create a calendar and review search intentions
In its latest updates, Google has given increasing importance to the content of web pages. Thus, the Internet giant is in love with long, linked articles that speak exactly what is being said in the title. With this the content is much more focused on searches, and for example, this article of SEO tips, you can never be positioned by “seo tricks” or another keyword.
Remember that to see the search intention, it is best to search for “seo tips” and “seo tricks” and see if Google shows the same results. If it doesn’t show the same, there’s no point in attacking that keyword in your post because it will never rank in the top positions because it’s a different search intention.
Remember, the most important thing is that the content is useful for the user. That’s why having a blog in which articles are constantly being published whose contents respond to the previously established keyword research is one of the best SEO tips I can give you at this time.
At the same time, it is important to create a logical and time-bound content calendar. When faced with keyword research, we will notice the amount of “repeated” or similar words and concepts. It is necessary to take this into account and group them into search intentions so as not to cannibalize the keywords and/or differentiate them in time so as not to bore the reader.
3. Respect the basic keys of SEO On Page
These mini-tips are useful for both blog articles and service pages:
- Length of text: ideally around 1,500 words. Google understands that the longer the text, the more suitable it is for the user. However, one should avoid writing straws and going around a topic that does not have much more to say. This extension also improves the time spent on the website, a vital attribute for Google.
- Keyword density: quantity does not equal quality. One of the most common SEO tips given by experts in the sector is not to exceed 2.5% of keyword usage. You can see it with the SeoQuake tool.
- Use of titles and subtitles: a well-structured text will have more chances to be positioned among the first positions. At the same time, you must use correctly hierarchical headings tags H1, H2, H3 … as they show the search engines what is the content of our website.
- Meta Title Tag: It will be the title that users see in the search engine so it must be striking, with the main keyword visible and as far left as possible. The meta title helps position and CTR.
- Meta Description Tag: It does not directly help the positioning but it helps the CTR, which in the end is an important factor for the SEO. You should include relevant information to capture the attention of users and try to put as many keywords of your search intention. If a user uses them when making a query, these keywords will appear in bold, making them stand out from the rest of the pages.
- Friendly URLs: You must be friendly and avoid using unimportant words, prepositions and determinants. That is, it is best to only include the main keyword of the article.
- Be careful with the first paragraph: it is the presentation of the article and what will make the user close the page after a few seconds or stay reading. Also, it is super important that the main keyword is included and highlighted in bold. To improve the time spent on the website and to lower the bounce rate, it is interesting to link to other interesting articles for the reader at the beginning of the post.
- Use the Search Console to analyze and solve all the possible problems you detect.
4. Take into account other aspects of Technical SEO
➨ Web architecture: Logical structure to achieve a better usability and user experience, always based on our keyword research.
➨ Website indexability (sitemap and robots.txt): A sitemap is the file in which the pages of your website are listed and ensures that Google understands the structure. While the robots.txt file is used to tell your spiders which pages to visit and which not.
➨ The user experience: Although it is a point that we often forget, the user experience is vital because it will improve the time spent, the bounce rate and the conversions. So check your website if it is not custom made (if it is, I understand that it will have been taken into account in the design) because not all templates have this well taken care of.
➨ Internal linking: Important to distribute the page rank and help the pages that cost more to position take less time.
➨ 404 errors: Fix possible 404 errors, either by removing the specific page or by doing a redirection if we want to keep the authority of the page in case it has inbound links.
➨ Social Signals: Improving social signals always makes Google see a more natural growth of a website since normally, the more visits it has the more it shares.
➨ Upload speed: Upload speed is another key element that Google takes into account when looking at its top positions. If a website takes longer than 4 seconds, it is very likely that the user will close it before it is fully opened. The loading time is affected by the weight of the images, the lack of optimization of the code or the excess of redirects. If you want to be at the top of Google, it’s important to take the time to fix these issues. If you want to know the loading speed of your website you can check it with the Google Page Speed Insights tool.
➨ Optimisation of images: This goes hand in hand with the previous point because a large part of the loading speed problem usually comes from the weight of the images. If you take care of this detail, you’ll make a lot of progress both in loading speed and in your crawling budget, because the less time Google takes to see your pages, the more time it will have to crawl and the better positions your website will get.
5. Improves length of stay, CTR and bounce rate
These three concepts are directly related to Google’s interest in your website. We have already mentioned in the previous points the importance of the time of stay to improve the position of the web. It can be improved with the length and quality of the texts; a good work of internal links and the inclusion of videos, infographics or other audiovisual products that generate interest in the readers.
Meanwhile, the CTR is the percentage of clicks that users make on your different pages compared to the number of times it appears in Google’s SERPs. In other words, the more clicks users make on your pages when doing a Google search, the more likely it is that this result will improve their positions vis-à-vis the competition.
Another concept to bear in mind among these SEO tips is the bounce rate: a figure that measures the percentage of times that readers enter the website and close it immediately. This implies that it is not really an interesting result for him, so Google understands that it should not give priority to your page and the decrease of positions. How to improve the bounce rate? Don’t promise something in the title that you won’t offer in the content; avoid a design that is unattractive to the human eye; modify it if it is not a responsive design and check the usability of your website.
6. Make a LinkBuilding strategy essential for web positioning
Another SEO tip that cannot be missed is to make a good linkbuilding strategy. The Internet would be meaningless without links and that is why they are really important. The fact that a page sends its reader to yours means to Google that you offer relevant and interesting content, so they will be more interested in you. This usually happens naturally but can also be promoted by link building work.
Which links will increase the positions of a website? Do Follow backlinks that come from pages with a similar theme to yours, with a high domain authority, the better and preferably higher than your own.
How to get them? First of all, read these SEO tips again and apply them. That is to say, if your page with a good structure and design offers really interesting content, sooner or later they will link to you. However, you can carry out a Guest Posting strategy in other blogs; publish comments in pages and forums; collaborate with other pages or companies and participate with your contents in content aggregators and social networks.
What other SEO tips would you add?
Surely I have left some aspect in the inkwell that would be interesting to highlight among these tips seo to enhance web positioning. Do not hesitate to leave a comment to contribute your ideas or ask any point of interest. Also, do not hesitate to contact us if you want to receive information about digital marketing.